Skip to main content

Meditations in an Emergency

Apologies to Frank O'Hara; I'll have to read your poetry collection at some point...in the meantime it's a damn good title, especially for a post on the melancholy of living in "interesting times".

It's Spring, or damn close, which means Mad Season is upon us - March Hares, floods, weather twitching between subzero and 60º F above...spring is a lovely time, yes, and being Orthodox Christian I have a soft spot for Easter; but there's a menacing side to the season people rarely talk about. The sap is rising, everybody's horny, rams take a sidelong look at each other and think, "I want to bury my horns in his skull" along with car doors, barn sides, and unsuspecting farmers. It's manic season. Check the statistics on incidence of psychotic break, and I'll bet you dollars to donuts they'll be significantly higher from March to May. It was actually May 20th, 2010 when I had the nervous breakdown that changed my life; now every year around that time, I get nervous and moody. I've always been squirrelly as the weather warmed up, and the south breeze whispered Away, away through the open window...and there I was trapped in my house, knowing I couldn't strip down to my undies and just out and go live in a swamp, howling at the moon and eating frogs. But then again, maybe I could...

Circumstances seem to alter, too, as buds bust out of the jail of their winter twig. Like a carefully-constructed pile of leaves, I felt like I mostly had my shit in order since Christmas; now suddenly a cyclone comes along and scatters them into random piles in the corners of the yard. My housing situation may be in danger; everybody's car is breaking down; old coworkers are leaving; lovers are on the verge of breaking up. The stool has hit the cooling turbine, and I don't mean the kind you sit on (unless you're in diapers).

One nice thing is, at least the comics business is ticking along - slowly, mind ye, but surely. With the first pages of DKIII sent off for inks, I can at least say I have a handle on the beast; THC 9 is in production, and I'm getting ready to do some short comics as well. There's a new comic manager at Everybody Reads, who seems interested in reorganizing the store and putting our comics out front. We've also got plenty of stores to track down, after the winter lull, and ply them with our delicious pies  comics. The important thing is to maintain momentum. A change to our living situation will certainly disrupt this; it's just a question of how much. Hopefully not too much.

I'm praying for myself and the people in trouble around me...God seems to listen, even if he doesn't answer my prayers in a way I'd like. That's how it goes. "Thy will be done", and all that. In the meantime, I'll keep flapping my arms, and with some luck and planning I'll fall into the nice cushy pillows instead of the iron spikes (why do we even keep those there...?), and maybe this Spring won't be as hard as the beginning of 2018 has been.

Rick Out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Reconstructing Deinonychus

So as you may know, I am partly obsessed with dinosaurs. Scratch that - there's a small lobe of my brain devoted to dinosaurs. I love em, God help me. I even have a super-double-plus-top-secret dinosaur comic maybe in the works...but you didn't hear it from me. Anywho... Part of my problem is in the reconstruction of said prehistoric beasties, namely those icons of American dino-obsession, Deinonychus ( Velociraptor  to you Jurassic Park  aficionados...it's not just a Hollywood bastardization, there's a complicated story behind it which I covered in this old post ). Now, we all know what Deinonychus looked like: wolf-size, sleek, toothsome head balanced by a long tail, grasping front claws and of course the eponymous "terrible claw" on its hind foot. The shape is burned into our collective unconscious; you could construct the most fantastic amalgam of different bits and pieces, but as long as you include the sickle-claw, you're golden. The devil, of

Artist Spotlight: Tom Eaton

I wanted to do a quick artist spotlight on Tom Eaton, best known for his work in Boy's Life Magazine. I used to have a subscription to Boy's Life  when I was a kid; unfortunately I didn't keep any of them, as they just weren't...I don't know, not really worth keeping. I just remember it as being 90% toy advertisements, some "how to get along with others" advice, the same camping article reprinted 20 million times, and some half-funny comics. As the years went on, the advertisements got bigger and louder, the articles became less interesting, and the comics section got shorter and shorter. But there was one gem hidden in the midst of the mediocrity: artist Tom Eaton. He wrote and illustrated "The Wacky Adventures of Pedro" ( BL's  burro mascot), "Dink & Duff", and myriad other comics, crossword puzzles, games, and short pieces. He was the magazine's resident cartoonist, and about the only reason I actually read the magazi

The Horrendous Space Kablooie!

Sorry, Bill Watterson, but I just couldn't resist using this one...all hail Calvin and Hobbes! This comic illustrates a point that confronts us when we attempt to speak about the titanic phenomena occurring in the universe every day. We can speak of a supernova exploding "with the force of x  megaton bombs", or a star that "could hold a million of our suns"...but ultimately all this is meaningless. When the standard unit of interstellar measurement, the light year, is about 8.7 x 10¹² miles, human language (and thus, comprehension) just sort of...blanks out. Here's a lovely example: I'm currently watching a JINA-CEE video about novas in parasitic binary star systems . Essentially, a small, dense star (such as a neutron star) will form an orbital relationship with a larger, less-dense giant. The denser of the two will start vacuuming material off its host, adding to its mass; however, because of its size, it compresses the material into its "