Skip to main content

Comics! What a headache...

Yes, comicsfans, once again Rick has overextended himself. Surprise surprise.

Well, not actually...just mentally. Trying to keep too many plates spinning, too many balls in the air, too many metaphors mixing, too many ideas and schemes in my head at the same time. That's perhaps the good thing about spending more time planning things than actually executing them: by exhausting myself with the run-through, I can talk myself out of a potentially expensive misstep.

Basically I'm talking about things I need to do, and things I want to do, and how to distinguish between them. Sometimes it gets a little difficult. I think everyone struggles with this problem to some extent.

Here's what I need to do:

1. Print The Human Cannonball #6 (due out this month).
2. Get ready for SPACE (Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo).
3. Help Joe edit Bone Boy #4 for April release.

Wow...just three things?! Okay, here's what I want to do:

1. Get money.
2. Get more money.
3. Scheme to get more money.
4. Beg people for money.
5. Fall apart in despair, shaking my fist at heaven on top of a mountain in a lightning storm, at the lack of money.
6. Worry about money.

Wow...sorry. Think I stuck my finger on the problem. And not just my problem - the problem that's plagued all comic book companies since the last gangster decided dat funnybook racket's a mug's game, youse guys.

As a comic book creator and self-publisher, you have two basic concerns, financially (at least in our case):

1. The cost of printing versus sales returns
2. The health of the comics retail business/enthusiasm of retail owners.

The first one's pretty simple: costs will always go up. No getting around it. We're thankful to have found a great POD service (Greko Printing's Comix Wellspring), but in terms of simple cost, it's still very expensive. That's just the way it goes. You want to print comics? You'll have to pay.

The second one is where most of the frustration lies. There's such a thing as Diminishing Returns on retailer enthusiasm: at first they're all like, "Cool! Awesome! Local! Great!" and buy your stuff. And then...well, they start getting this look in their eye whenever you show up with the new issue.

Now, this is perfectly reasonable: unless your stuff sells like the proverbial hotcakes, they have to weigh the benefit of giving you shelfspace versus your prices. Business is business. I love the fact that retailers are willing to help out a local boy, and that they're at least sympathetic to my cause, but eventually they have to look at the bottom line. And let me tell you, I'd rather be given the bum-rush than to have them buy my stuff out of pity. I'm a businessman too.

Another, more apocalyptic problem with retailers is the sheer volatility of the comic book business. In the late eighties, during the great Comic-Book Bubble, stores were popping up all over. Then, in blitheringly predictable Econ 101 fashion, the bubble burst, taking 90% of the small shops with them. Then the Great Recession happened: take half of that. They rallied with the new Marvel movies, but that's not going to last very long, and most comics were moving to digital format anyway; I predict we're going to be seeing at least a 10-20% fall-off in the next ten years. So now we're left with the wreckage of an old-school retail system based on print and customer loyalty, in an age when there's a dearth of either. There's still a cachet to having your work carried in stores, but cachet doesn't necessarily translate into cash.

One thing about Blind Alley Comics is that we're on the fringe, and therefore not attached to the pulpy center of comics-industry economics - even our stories are quite outside the mainstream. But insulation from the boom-and-bust cycle is a "negative" benefit; in other words, not-losing doesn't magically translate into gain. I'm wracking my brains for a way to find that "in", that means by which to establish ourselves as a legitimate, earning publisher.

Meh. We'll just move to digital.

Anyway, enough of my rambling and raving and complaining. Quit kvetching, relax for a bit. Everything will work out, somehow, eventually. And yes, I'd like to give a shout-out to all those retailers who've helped me out: Monica at Everybody Reads (Lansing), Heather at The Record Lounge (East Lansing), Dan at Red Fox Comics (Lansing), Liz at Vault of Midnight (Ann Arbor). You guys are great, and if there's any way we can help you out, let us know.

Rick Out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Reconstructing Deinonychus

So as you may know, I am partly obsessed with dinosaurs. Scratch that - there's a small lobe of my brain devoted to dinosaurs. I love em, God help me. I even have a super-double-plus-top-secret dinosaur comic maybe in the works...but you didn't hear it from me. Anywho... Part of my problem is in the reconstruction of said prehistoric beasties, namely those icons of American dino-obsession, Deinonychus ( Velociraptor  to you Jurassic Park  aficionados...it's not just a Hollywood bastardization, there's a complicated story behind it which I covered in this old post ). Now, we all know what Deinonychus looked like: wolf-size, sleek, toothsome head balanced by a long tail, grasping front claws and of course the eponymous "terrible claw" on its hind foot. The shape is burned into our collective unconscious; you could construct the most fantastic amalgam of different bits and pieces, but as long as you include the sickle-claw, you're golden. The devil, of

Artist Spotlight: Tom Eaton

I wanted to do a quick artist spotlight on Tom Eaton, best known for his work in Boy's Life Magazine. I used to have a subscription to Boy's Life  when I was a kid; unfortunately I didn't keep any of them, as they just weren't...I don't know, not really worth keeping. I just remember it as being 90% toy advertisements, some "how to get along with others" advice, the same camping article reprinted 20 million times, and some half-funny comics. As the years went on, the advertisements got bigger and louder, the articles became less interesting, and the comics section got shorter and shorter. But there was one gem hidden in the midst of the mediocrity: artist Tom Eaton. He wrote and illustrated "The Wacky Adventures of Pedro" ( BL's  burro mascot), "Dink & Duff", and myriad other comics, crossword puzzles, games, and short pieces. He was the magazine's resident cartoonist, and about the only reason I actually read the magazi

The Horrendous Space Kablooie!

Sorry, Bill Watterson, but I just couldn't resist using this one...all hail Calvin and Hobbes! This comic illustrates a point that confronts us when we attempt to speak about the titanic phenomena occurring in the universe every day. We can speak of a supernova exploding "with the force of x  megaton bombs", or a star that "could hold a million of our suns"...but ultimately all this is meaningless. When the standard unit of interstellar measurement, the light year, is about 8.7 x 10¹² miles, human language (and thus, comprehension) just sort of...blanks out. Here's a lovely example: I'm currently watching a JINA-CEE video about novas in parasitic binary star systems . Essentially, a small, dense star (such as a neutron star) will form an orbital relationship with a larger, less-dense giant. The denser of the two will start vacuuming material off its host, adding to its mass; however, because of its size, it compresses the material into its "