Skip to main content

New Ideas, New Directions

Oy vey, what a week. Too much partying. Well, for Rick anyway. Went and saw Man Man play at the Loft on Wednesday night; they were awesome, of course, and Honus Honus is a lunatic genius onstage and a laid-back gentleman in person.

What else? Oh, I went to Florida for Christmas break. Drove there. Of all the cockamamie ideas. It was one of those, "We'll figure out what to do when we get there" trips, so of course I damn near run out of money, but it was still awesome in its own way - spent New Year's Eve in Key West, and stayed with a friend of a friend on Islamorada Key. Swam in the ocean for the first time in what, thirteen years? Looked at all the cool sea critters, saw an octopus, had a blast. The trip back wasn't so much fun - me and my travel partner had a bit of a falling out. We'll patch things up, I'm sure of it.

So! How bout dem comickal books, you ask? Well, me and the Joe were a-settin there figurin', and we reckoned it was 'bout high time we start collaboratin'. Not on the stories, mind you, but on the art: I'll ink some of his stories, he'll ink some of mine. Not sure how it'll work out, but that's the fun of it, and the real purpose is to get ourselves motivated. See, the problem for us is that we're so isolated, and drawing isn't really part of our jobs - this is a quasi-career hobby. Will we ever make any money off it? Who knows. I despair at our complete lack of business sense, at least on my end - we've got multitudes of obstacles with seemingly no way to get around them, and the only way to really deal with it is to put our heads down and just keep producing. This is what we were meant to do, our raison d'etre, if you will. Our dharma. Not to get all weird about it, but the joy we get from creating these picture-stories is matched only by the madness of our compulsion to create. We're both more than a little mad, and making comics is the way we channel the river of crazy boiling in our brain-boxes.

Got sidetracked there...what was I going on about? Oh yeah, collaboratin'. I've got this comic, still in its infancy, mind ye, not much more than a script and some concept sketches, but the script is solid. It's called Die Katze (there's supposed to be an umlaut there), and it's a German Expressionist nightmare about cats who worship an ancient Egyptian god. It's got some Lovecraft boiled into it, as these things tend to do, and every scene will be drenched in foreboding, deep shadows slithering up walls, and a museum full of unspeakable Victorian-era grodiness. I'll be doing the pencils, and Joe Haines will gild the corpse-smelling lily with his amazing jagged inkwork. As far as what's going to happen with Die Katze, I'm not sure how long of a series we'll end up with - it may just be a flash-in-the-pan project, and we'll see if it sells; who knows. The important thing is that we do it. I've already got a couple test pages worked up, and Joe's inks already look amazing.

Anyway, I'm all excited. Also sleep-deprived. I need sleep. I'll go to sleep now. Goodbye.

Rick Out (like a light).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Reconstructing Deinonychus

So as you may know, I am partly obsessed with dinosaurs. Scratch that - there's a small lobe of my brain devoted to dinosaurs. I love em, God help me. I even have a super-double-plus-top-secret dinosaur comic maybe in the works...but you didn't hear it from me. Anywho... Part of my problem is in the reconstruction of said prehistoric beasties, namely those icons of American dino-obsession, Deinonychus ( Velociraptor  to you Jurassic Park  aficionados...it's not just a Hollywood bastardization, there's a complicated story behind it which I covered in this old post ). Now, we all know what Deinonychus looked like: wolf-size, sleek, toothsome head balanced by a long tail, grasping front claws and of course the eponymous "terrible claw" on its hind foot. The shape is burned into our collective unconscious; you could construct the most fantastic amalgam of different bits and pieces, but as long as you include the sickle-claw, you're golden. The devil, of

Artist Spotlight: Tom Eaton

I wanted to do a quick artist spotlight on Tom Eaton, best known for his work in Boy's Life Magazine. I used to have a subscription to Boy's Life  when I was a kid; unfortunately I didn't keep any of them, as they just weren't...I don't know, not really worth keeping. I just remember it as being 90% toy advertisements, some "how to get along with others" advice, the same camping article reprinted 20 million times, and some half-funny comics. As the years went on, the advertisements got bigger and louder, the articles became less interesting, and the comics section got shorter and shorter. But there was one gem hidden in the midst of the mediocrity: artist Tom Eaton. He wrote and illustrated "The Wacky Adventures of Pedro" ( BL's  burro mascot), "Dink & Duff", and myriad other comics, crossword puzzles, games, and short pieces. He was the magazine's resident cartoonist, and about the only reason I actually read the magazi

The Horrendous Space Kablooie!

Sorry, Bill Watterson, but I just couldn't resist using this one...all hail Calvin and Hobbes! This comic illustrates a point that confronts us when we attempt to speak about the titanic phenomena occurring in the universe every day. We can speak of a supernova exploding "with the force of x  megaton bombs", or a star that "could hold a million of our suns"...but ultimately all this is meaningless. When the standard unit of interstellar measurement, the light year, is about 8.7 x 10¹² miles, human language (and thus, comprehension) just sort of...blanks out. Here's a lovely example: I'm currently watching a JINA-CEE video about novas in parasitic binary star systems . Essentially, a small, dense star (such as a neutron star) will form an orbital relationship with a larger, less-dense giant. The denser of the two will start vacuuming material off its host, adding to its mass; however, because of its size, it compresses the material into its "