Skip to main content

Squidgods (also, more musings)...

You've probably heard me mention Squidgods before. It's a massive comic (124 pages long) that I started in 2005, and finished in 2008. It's one of a class of comics I like to call, "Binder Comics", of which I currently have two. I hope never to have another one.

What makes a Binder Comic, you say? A Binder Comic is...

• contained within a binder, preferably with plastic sleeves
• penciled and inked entirely on printer paper
• begun with no particular plot in mind
• at least on hundred pages long
• takes at least a year to finish
• displays changes in the artist's style over time
• remains only in its original form for at least three years

Squidgods meets all these criteria. It is my second attempt at creating a comic book (after that scintillating classic, Matt Darkk and the Home Alien Control), and my first introduction of several characters I hope to use in the future, collectively called the Longshots universe (The official title is, Longshots #1: Squidgods. I'll probably post a blog about Longshots sometime in the future). After its completion in 2008, the poor thing languished for another three years in its binder, until, on a whim, I decided to dust it off and see what I could make of it.

Even upon a perfunctory inspection, one will notice that the quality is somewhat...well, "inconsistent" would be a polite word. "Scatterbrained" would be more apt. There is evidence of at least three or four different style changes throughout the comic, coinciding with three years of artistic development. And not sequential, either: after all was said and done, I had to go back and fill in all the gaps in the story. Taken all together, it's a pretty impressive piece of work (and artistically interesting); but as to whether it is printworthy, I'd have to say no - not unless I go back in and redo some rather poor drawings and inept layouts. If I was really, really serious about printing it under the DCP label, I might have to treat the binder comic as a visual script; I'd re-work the story to be more concise, carve everything into episodes, and re-draw the comic in a larger format. Even with the fat removed, it would probably run about seventy pages - seven issues of ten pages each.

At any rate, I'm not sure if I'll ever get it into full production; I might print one copy for my own appreciation and enjoyment. Just last week, I created a cover for it, with which I am rather pleased:


Longshots #1: Squidgods front cover

You're probably thinking, "Hey! It's in color! That's not the Rick I remember..." That's right, folks, Rick is moving into the Age of Color - reluctantly, kicking and screaming. This is one of my first experiments with color as graphics (as opposed to painting); it's good practice for the cover of The Human Cannonball #1, which has a similar layout. I'm also heavily into working with gold and silver ink. See the "Squidgods" nameplate? Colored in silver Sharpie. The goldenrod-colored areas are actually gold ink, which of course the scanner couldn't pick up, but that's okay. If I get it printed, I think I'll have them metallic-stamp those areas, to give it that blinged-out effect.

This image came out of a huge inspirational kick I got from reading Jeremy Bastion's Cursed Pirate Girl. After the letdown of an apathetic Con reception, reading this tour-de-force of art and whimsy really re-charged my artistic batteries, breaking me out of a claustrophobic Neil Gaiman- and Alan Moore-infused funk (what is it with British comic book writers? They depress the hell out of me). The Victorian-engraving looseness of Bastian's line drawings, as well as the inherent happy strangeness of his story, opened up a whole new comic world for me - one that wasn't endlessly drenched in gloom. He reminds me more of European comics, with their emphasis on illustration and whimsy.

It also reminded me that comics isn't just about business. I'd forgotten that in recent months. Dealing with DCP's teething problems, frustrated at the lack of recognition, and just plain ornery about the Con, I'd lost the art - for me, it had become all about "Oh God, what are we going to do about X, Y, and Z business aspect?" That's part of the problem of trying to start your own business - you quickly turn into an atavistic little Capitalist, whether you meant to or not. Sometimes I wish I could just hire some kind of manager, who could coordinate all the distribution, advertising, money, gigs, everything. Of course, as soon as you have a manager, you lose a huge chunk of your freedom - you might as well give up and work for an existing production company.

But that's over now. I'm back on the art. Right now, I'm even on a kind of "cover art" kick - I'm working on a cover for The Empty Quarter, and even Redtooth. First, though, I'll have to color the cover for The Human Cannonball #1. I'm looking forward to it.

Rick Out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Reconstructing Deinonychus

So as you may know, I am partly obsessed with dinosaurs. Scratch that - there's a small lobe of my brain devoted to dinosaurs. I love em, God help me. I even have a super-double-plus-top-secret dinosaur comic maybe in the works...but you didn't hear it from me. Anywho... Part of my problem is in the reconstruction of said prehistoric beasties, namely those icons of American dino-obsession, Deinonychus ( Velociraptor  to you Jurassic Park  aficionados...it's not just a Hollywood bastardization, there's a complicated story behind it which I covered in this old post ). Now, we all know what Deinonychus looked like: wolf-size, sleek, toothsome head balanced by a long tail, grasping front claws and of course the eponymous "terrible claw" on its hind foot. The shape is burned into our collective unconscious; you could construct the most fantastic amalgam of different bits and pieces, but as long as you include the sickle-claw, you're golden. The devil, of

Artist Spotlight: Tom Eaton

I wanted to do a quick artist spotlight on Tom Eaton, best known for his work in Boy's Life Magazine. I used to have a subscription to Boy's Life  when I was a kid; unfortunately I didn't keep any of them, as they just weren't...I don't know, not really worth keeping. I just remember it as being 90% toy advertisements, some "how to get along with others" advice, the same camping article reprinted 20 million times, and some half-funny comics. As the years went on, the advertisements got bigger and louder, the articles became less interesting, and the comics section got shorter and shorter. But there was one gem hidden in the midst of the mediocrity: artist Tom Eaton. He wrote and illustrated "The Wacky Adventures of Pedro" ( BL's  burro mascot), "Dink & Duff", and myriad other comics, crossword puzzles, games, and short pieces. He was the magazine's resident cartoonist, and about the only reason I actually read the magazi

The Horrendous Space Kablooie!

Sorry, Bill Watterson, but I just couldn't resist using this one...all hail Calvin and Hobbes! This comic illustrates a point that confronts us when we attempt to speak about the titanic phenomena occurring in the universe every day. We can speak of a supernova exploding "with the force of x  megaton bombs", or a star that "could hold a million of our suns"...but ultimately all this is meaningless. When the standard unit of interstellar measurement, the light year, is about 8.7 x 10¹² miles, human language (and thus, comprehension) just sort of...blanks out. Here's a lovely example: I'm currently watching a JINA-CEE video about novas in parasitic binary star systems . Essentially, a small, dense star (such as a neutron star) will form an orbital relationship with a larger, less-dense giant. The denser of the two will start vacuuming material off its host, adding to its mass; however, because of its size, it compresses the material into its "