Skip to main content

Dark Corner Productions #1 is here!!!!

Finally! I just got the DCP #1 test copy back from the printer today; we go into production on the 19th of October, which is this Friday.

DCP #1 is my comic, Ian's Dream, which is based on a dream of my coworker's (his name is Ian, if you haven't already deduced). The narrative concerns the eponymous hero and his sojourn through a zombie-infested city. I think it turned out rather swell. Here's a couple of pages, for your enjoyment:

The Cover.

Page 2.

Page 6.

That's all you're getting. The rest is available for $4.00, wherever Rick is selling them.

Now for a little context: this is my very first self-published comic. In that respect, it's a historic event. From now on - hopefully - I can go ahead and self-publish any time I like, without waiting. Granted, it costs a lot (here's a hint: set up the comic in InDesign first, or they'll charge you extra - a lot extra).

Dark Corner Productions, by the by, is a production group I'm working on with the inimitable Joe Haines (whose comic, Bone Boy, will be debuting in November's issue). Part of the production company will be given over entirely to the production of comics, while the other part will be a "review panel", which will review the work of aspiring comic book creators and, if they are approved, will pay half the printing costs and publish the comic under the DCP label. We're really excited for it. Right now everything is pretty much helter-skelter and out-of-pocket, fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants, play-it-by-ear, and mixed-metaphor, but soon we're hoping to go legit and help make mid-Michigan an independent comics powerhouse.

At least, that's what the rest of the group is hoping. Me, I'm just going to milk the company for oodles of cash and run off to Bermuda! Ha! Ha ha ha ha ha! No, just kidding, really...

At any rate, right now I'm multitasking: celebrating with a tall beer, and getting everything ready for production. Hopefully alcohol and image manipulation will not prove a fatal combination. I can't wait for Friday; with any luck, I'll have the copies by the time I get out of class on Monday.

I have to go make some phone calls now. Y'all sit tight. This is starting out small, but just you wait - it's gonna be big.

Rick Out.

Comments

Unknown said…
Congradulations RICK!!
That's totally awesome and looking forward to read your first comic.

Josh Heusinkveld

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Reconstructing Deinonychus

So as you may know, I am partly obsessed with dinosaurs. Scratch that - there's a small lobe of my brain devoted to dinosaurs. I love em, God help me. I even have a super-double-plus-top-secret dinosaur comic maybe in the works...but you didn't hear it from me. Anywho... Part of my problem is in the reconstruction of said prehistoric beasties, namely those icons of American dino-obsession, Deinonychus ( Velociraptor  to you Jurassic Park  aficionados...it's not just a Hollywood bastardization, there's a complicated story behind it which I covered in this old post ). Now, we all know what Deinonychus looked like: wolf-size, sleek, toothsome head balanced by a long tail, grasping front claws and of course the eponymous "terrible claw" on its hind foot. The shape is burned into our collective unconscious; you could construct the most fantastic amalgam of different bits and pieces, but as long as you include the sickle-claw, you're golden. The devil, of

Artist Spotlight: Tom Eaton

I wanted to do a quick artist spotlight on Tom Eaton, best known for his work in Boy's Life Magazine. I used to have a subscription to Boy's Life  when I was a kid; unfortunately I didn't keep any of them, as they just weren't...I don't know, not really worth keeping. I just remember it as being 90% toy advertisements, some "how to get along with others" advice, the same camping article reprinted 20 million times, and some half-funny comics. As the years went on, the advertisements got bigger and louder, the articles became less interesting, and the comics section got shorter and shorter. But there was one gem hidden in the midst of the mediocrity: artist Tom Eaton. He wrote and illustrated "The Wacky Adventures of Pedro" ( BL's  burro mascot), "Dink & Duff", and myriad other comics, crossword puzzles, games, and short pieces. He was the magazine's resident cartoonist, and about the only reason I actually read the magazi

The Horrendous Space Kablooie!

Sorry, Bill Watterson, but I just couldn't resist using this one...all hail Calvin and Hobbes! This comic illustrates a point that confronts us when we attempt to speak about the titanic phenomena occurring in the universe every day. We can speak of a supernova exploding "with the force of x  megaton bombs", or a star that "could hold a million of our suns"...but ultimately all this is meaningless. When the standard unit of interstellar measurement, the light year, is about 8.7 x 10¹² miles, human language (and thus, comprehension) just sort of...blanks out. Here's a lovely example: I'm currently watching a JINA-CEE video about novas in parasitic binary star systems . Essentially, a small, dense star (such as a neutron star) will form an orbital relationship with a larger, less-dense giant. The denser of the two will start vacuuming material off its host, adding to its mass; however, because of its size, it compresses the material into its "