Skip to main content

Guess who's back...

Yeah, go on, guess.

That's right. It's me. Your favorite lovable blogging internet-type character, back from the veritable comics exile they call Summer Camp. I am sleek, tanned, and ready for action. Poppa's home, boys. Time to get crackin'.

At any rate, I am hard at work on comics and hoping to kick some ass before the general school and winter fugue kicks in, and I am reduced to a sniveling, sniffing pile of wreckage in front of a computer screen, my life-force slowly being drained by Photoshop. Classes start a week before I thought they would - almost two weeks - so I have been scrambling to rearrange my work schedule to fit. In the comics department, I have finished that leviathan of a project, "The Second Coming", and am now working on a bit of an easy piece called "Ian's Dream", based upon the somnic visions of a camp co-worker. I have made up for the relative ease of composition in this piece by making it thirteen pages long (plus title page) - or at least, that's how all the elements fell into place.

Other projects:

Fight or Flight is stalled. Apologies to Skippy (my writer) and Aaron (that other guy I was working with). Hopefully I can get cracking on ish number 3 presently. It's going to take a little time, however, especially with classes leaping on me like a deranged and sexually deviant leopard upon an unsuspecting antelope.

Redtooth is...lost, I suppose? Ever since the nasty break between Dark Corner Productions and Jay Jacot (which inevitably kept getting worse, despite my Pollyanna-ish remonstrances) and my return from camp, I have seen neither hide nor hair of Jay - I need to give him a call sometime. I seriously hope he's out there, somewhere, perhaps looking up at the same moon, and thinking of Comics Past...sigh. Anyway, I still need to get a couple of projects back from the old blighter, so I hope he still takes my calls.

The Empty Quarter, installment 7, and Squidgods are with Jay. I'm hoping to get them back shortly.

Being the ADD-addled twit that I am, I also picked up another project from Skippy. It concerns a rogue angel/vampire/I-don't-know-what-the-hell-he-is who has, well, gone rogue. I'm not sure of all the specifics of the story, but I do have a couple of chapters I need to convert into scripts. I have some killer concept images, too. The project needs a swift kick in the pants if it's ever going to get off the ground; first of all, I need to know where the story's going, and Skippy's not the easiest person to get in contact with. I hope it works out. I should probably focus on Fight or Flight first, though, and then worry about the rest later.

From this list above, I can see I have enough on my plate to keep me fat and happy for a while at least. Dark Corner Productions is inching along splendidly (at least from where I'm standing) - we've started to implement some new policies, including setting weekly production goals, which I hope will give us that steel-toed incentive we need to get things moving. We have a couple of art shows already planned, one in September/October and one in November (nicely spaced, don't you think?) All in all, shaping up slowly but surely.

I'll try to post regularly. Until next time, stay classy.

Rick Out.

Comments

Unknown said…
Welcome back Rick and glad see you still breathing from hard works at summer camp. See you soon, Josh

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Reconstructing Deinonychus

So as you may know, I am partly obsessed with dinosaurs. Scratch that - there's a small lobe of my brain devoted to dinosaurs. I love em, God help me. I even have a super-double-plus-top-secret dinosaur comic maybe in the works...but you didn't hear it from me. Anywho... Part of my problem is in the reconstruction of said prehistoric beasties, namely those icons of American dino-obsession, Deinonychus ( Velociraptor  to you Jurassic Park  aficionados...it's not just a Hollywood bastardization, there's a complicated story behind it which I covered in this old post ). Now, we all know what Deinonychus looked like: wolf-size, sleek, toothsome head balanced by a long tail, grasping front claws and of course the eponymous "terrible claw" on its hind foot. The shape is burned into our collective unconscious; you could construct the most fantastic amalgam of different bits and pieces, but as long as you include the sickle-claw, you're golden. The devil, of

Artist Spotlight: Tom Eaton

I wanted to do a quick artist spotlight on Tom Eaton, best known for his work in Boy's Life Magazine. I used to have a subscription to Boy's Life  when I was a kid; unfortunately I didn't keep any of them, as they just weren't...I don't know, not really worth keeping. I just remember it as being 90% toy advertisements, some "how to get along with others" advice, the same camping article reprinted 20 million times, and some half-funny comics. As the years went on, the advertisements got bigger and louder, the articles became less interesting, and the comics section got shorter and shorter. But there was one gem hidden in the midst of the mediocrity: artist Tom Eaton. He wrote and illustrated "The Wacky Adventures of Pedro" ( BL's  burro mascot), "Dink & Duff", and myriad other comics, crossword puzzles, games, and short pieces. He was the magazine's resident cartoonist, and about the only reason I actually read the magazi

The Horrendous Space Kablooie!

Sorry, Bill Watterson, but I just couldn't resist using this one...all hail Calvin and Hobbes! This comic illustrates a point that confronts us when we attempt to speak about the titanic phenomena occurring in the universe every day. We can speak of a supernova exploding "with the force of x  megaton bombs", or a star that "could hold a million of our suns"...but ultimately all this is meaningless. When the standard unit of interstellar measurement, the light year, is about 8.7 x 10¹² miles, human language (and thus, comprehension) just sort of...blanks out. Here's a lovely example: I'm currently watching a JINA-CEE video about novas in parasitic binary star systems . Essentially, a small, dense star (such as a neutron star) will form an orbital relationship with a larger, less-dense giant. The denser of the two will start vacuuming material off its host, adding to its mass; however, because of its size, it compresses the material into its "