Skip to main content

Ricky's First Con! (everybody say awwww...)

Yes, ladies and gentlemen: believe it or not, Rick is a Con Virgin. (By Con I mean, Comics Con - not, "ripping off old, rich ladies"-kind of con). I have been in front of the booths before, perusing the divers and various wares, but never behind the table, showing off my stuff.

This is actually rather interesting, because I never did get my own space. I sat next to Jay Jacot - good old Jay - and practically squished myself between the stacks of Comics Obscura mags and displays. Somehow even my one-ton portfolio binder managed to find a space in there, and, egads, people were actually stopping to look at it. I tell you there is no better feeling than corralling perfect strangers and shaming them into looking at your stuff.

And guess what? I even sold a drawing! I got a commission for a Robin (as in, Batman and Robin), and I daresay it was a pretty good rendering. As in, you could tell where the arms and legs were. And that he was human.

I jest. It was damn good. Bow before me. No? Well, did you make five dollars on a ten-minute drawing? I thought not. Now, a little abject groveling, if you please.

There were plenty of rather odd characters, of course - this being a Con and all. There were Jedi, Sith, stormtroopers of various types and persuasions, a rather disconcerting monster with a sawblade-skull on one hand, and even a transvestite Wonderwoman (WonderwoMAN, we were calling her...I mean, him). About ten yards that way (imagine me pointing left) was a booth for Made In Michigan horror films from No Budget Productions. Much as I support our local film industry, most of it seemed to consist of strippers, slashers, slasher-strippers, lesbian strippers, and gallons of fake blood - not exactly my cup of tea. To the right of that was something called Captain Jolt, a bizarre little film concern using puppets, dolls, and processed dessert items; by the end of the night the poor guy was swapping his DVDs for comic books and sketches. And to the right of that, quite a ways down, was a witch. Yes, a witch. Go figure. She had a witch costume, a bubbling fake cauldron, a book of spells, and a lineup of Lothlorien Moon wands (so the display said). I'm pretty sure it wasn't a gag, either.

Ah, well. C'est la Con.

Spent my whole Con doing sketches. Did some of my characters; a Robin, of course (five bucks!); an alien; I even did some custom business cards, complete with one-of-a-kind image. I'm thinking I'll do these for the "special" customers - all the rest will get my standard blue business cards. That way I'll have more time to do more cards. See? A perfect system.

I'd like to make a shout out to Christie for picking me up, and to Amanda, Martina, and Monica for (cheerfully) bearing my odor and occassional Turrete's-like outbursts while riding to the Con. Can you believe it? I drove all the way to Lansing, squished several other passengers in a car on the way to Flint, only to realize that not only was there somebody from Howell (area) at the Con, but that it was the same distance from Howell to Flint as it was from Howell to Lansing - maybe even less. The gist is that I could have driven to Flint myself, saved gas, and even made room for somebody else who wanted to go to the Con.

Talk about sheepish. You could make a blanket out of me.

At any rate, thanks to Jay and Ryan Claytor for putting up with me; also thanks to Eric Wilmoth for giving me a ride today. I wasn't planning to come today (figured church was more important, you heathens), but after being at the Con for the day, the Imp of Being Geeked About Stuff has fully inhabited my brain. Church is every Sunday, folks - Con is maybe once a month! God help me...

Rick Out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Reconstructing Deinonychus

So as you may know, I am partly obsessed with dinosaurs. Scratch that - there's a small lobe of my brain devoted to dinosaurs. I love em, God help me. I even have a super-double-plus-top-secret dinosaur comic maybe in the works...but you didn't hear it from me. Anywho... Part of my problem is in the reconstruction of said prehistoric beasties, namely those icons of American dino-obsession, Deinonychus ( Velociraptor  to you Jurassic Park  aficionados...it's not just a Hollywood bastardization, there's a complicated story behind it which I covered in this old post ). Now, we all know what Deinonychus looked like: wolf-size, sleek, toothsome head balanced by a long tail, grasping front claws and of course the eponymous "terrible claw" on its hind foot. The shape is burned into our collective unconscious; you could construct the most fantastic amalgam of different bits and pieces, but as long as you include the sickle-claw, you're golden. The devil, of

Artist Spotlight: Tom Eaton

I wanted to do a quick artist spotlight on Tom Eaton, best known for his work in Boy's Life Magazine. I used to have a subscription to Boy's Life  when I was a kid; unfortunately I didn't keep any of them, as they just weren't...I don't know, not really worth keeping. I just remember it as being 90% toy advertisements, some "how to get along with others" advice, the same camping article reprinted 20 million times, and some half-funny comics. As the years went on, the advertisements got bigger and louder, the articles became less interesting, and the comics section got shorter and shorter. But there was one gem hidden in the midst of the mediocrity: artist Tom Eaton. He wrote and illustrated "The Wacky Adventures of Pedro" ( BL's  burro mascot), "Dink & Duff", and myriad other comics, crossword puzzles, games, and short pieces. He was the magazine's resident cartoonist, and about the only reason I actually read the magazi

The Horrendous Space Kablooie!

Sorry, Bill Watterson, but I just couldn't resist using this one...all hail Calvin and Hobbes! This comic illustrates a point that confronts us when we attempt to speak about the titanic phenomena occurring in the universe every day. We can speak of a supernova exploding "with the force of x  megaton bombs", or a star that "could hold a million of our suns"...but ultimately all this is meaningless. When the standard unit of interstellar measurement, the light year, is about 8.7 x 10¹² miles, human language (and thus, comprehension) just sort of...blanks out. Here's a lovely example: I'm currently watching a JINA-CEE video about novas in parasitic binary star systems . Essentially, a small, dense star (such as a neutron star) will form an orbital relationship with a larger, less-dense giant. The denser of the two will start vacuuming material off its host, adding to its mass; however, because of its size, it compresses the material into its "