Skip to main content

Artist Spotlight: Tom Eaton

I wanted to do a quick artist spotlight on Tom Eaton, best known for his work in Boy's Life Magazine.

I used to have a subscription to Boy's Life when I was a kid; unfortunately I didn't keep any of them, as they just weren't...I don't know, not really worth keeping. I just remember it as being 90% toy advertisements, some "how to get along with others" advice, the same camping article reprinted 20 million times, and some half-funny comics. As the years went on, the advertisements got bigger and louder, the articles became less interesting, and the comics section got shorter and shorter.

But there was one gem hidden in the midst of the mediocrity: artist Tom Eaton. He wrote and illustrated "The Wacky Adventures of Pedro" (BL's burro mascot), "Dink & Duff", and myriad other comics, crossword puzzles, games, and short pieces. He was the magazine's resident cartoonist, and about the only reason I actually read the magazine.

Here's a recent example of "Pedro":

June 2015

Yeah, I know, big laffs...naturally the humor was on the blah side. I have a feeling that, without the strictures imposed by the magazine, Pedro would have been a lot more anarchic; I get a sense that Tom Eaton is a very smart writer who's not allowed to let loose. Shades of Carl Barks of Scrooge McDuck fame, ce n'est pas?

But the art...this was my first exposure to surrealism. You can see shades of "Krazy Kat" in the background, only taken to the nth degree. The graphical quality and linework are very precise, all geometric shapes and discreet organic forms, yet it all adds up to something very bizarre. Even as an art-ignorant youth I would stare and stare at the shading: in the inset panel, second tier, the beige control panel has modest little hashes. In the main panel, second tier, Pedro is underlined with a perfect little scribble, while the green frame of the teleporter has these tick-marks like a graduated cylinder. His use of color also made him stand out from the rest of the herd, who seemed hell-bent on different shades of beige, or (in later issues) threw it on like candy coating. Mr. Eaton knows what he's doing.

But what fascinated me the most was the weird organic machinery (circular panel, top tier). They're these swooping, staggered forms, resembling the heads of wading birds; intricacy is created by contoured geometric shapes, little dots, and different tints. There was a time when I would make these weird drawings of "conduits" (as my sister called them), fill up a page with pipes and cables and leads and microchips, and this was my inspiration.

And in a way, the sci-fi was also beautiful - wacky, true, but there was a certain wistfulness to it, a wonder. I remember a Dink & Duff comic from way back in 1996, where our heroes visit a water planet. There's a shot of the weird spaceship (see machinery, above) swinging down toward the planet, which has craggy, circular islands. I could only find one panel, and it's been doctored - some lowlife inserted their own text into the second word balloon.


(Although 20,000 miles of beaches might provoke that reaction...)


Note the oddly charming spaceship in the upper right-hand corner.

I understand if some might be turned off by Mr. Eaton's precision: everything is very geometric and polished, not a line out of place. For me, though, that's part of the appeal. Even the panel above, with its series of obsessive wave lines, the perfect demarcation of water, beach, and sky, the symmetry created by the word balloons on the left, and the spaceship, aliens, and birds on the right, with the moon in the middle: extremely planned-out and calculated, yet for me it never loses its charm.

Unfortunately, Mr. Eaton doesn't show up on the internet. The best you'll get of an archive is the boyslife.org site, with "Pedro" comics going back to 2010. A lot of Google searching turns up this 1970 book, illustrated by Tom Eaton:

Image result for Otis G. Firefly's Phantasmagoric Almanac

He also did four or five other titles for Scholastic in the '70's, which appear on Amazon sans cover art. It's a real drag. I was hoping to find at least a partial omnibus of his work (every cartoonist has a book out these days), but probably the best I can do is find old Boy's Life's at the library and scan them. It's really a shame that Tom Eaton doesn't have a slightly bigger profile; I'm just worried that much of his amazing work will be lost due to simple apathy.

Now, Faithful Reader, here's your chance to help Rick! Do you  know where a Tom Eaton collected works can be found?! Answer below in the comments!! Act now, before time runs out!!!

Rick Out.


Comments

McPhage said…
I'm also a big fan of his artwork. The jokes are terrible, but year and years after I subscribed to Boy's Life, his artwork has stuck with me, and I also would love a collected version of his work.

Google has scanned in Boy's Life Magazine from 1910 - 2012. I went through and downloaded all of the issues, and pulled out the pages of Tom Eaton's art through 1996, and assembled them into PDFs. Check out the comics from 1984 here to see an example: http://www.scribd.com/doc/229545359/Tom-Eaton-s-comics-from-1984. That's the good news.

The bad news is: after 1996, Boy's Life split into a cub scout and boy scout edition. The cub scout edition apparently still carries all of his comics, but the boy scout edition only has Pedro—a single page of his per issue. And that's the version that Google scanned, so after 1996 I didn't bother getting the Google scans. I'd still love to get copies of his work post-1996, but am not really sure how. I don't know of any way to distinguish between the cub scout and boy scout editions besides looking in them, so searching eBay doesn't really help. I'm trying to get in touch with local cub scout leaders to see if some of them subscribed to the magazine and tossed old issues into a box, but it hasn't borne any fruit yet.
Rick Schlaack said…
Thanks for the info! I was thinking of doing the same thing - assembling a personal "Tom Eaton collection" out of old Boy's Life magazines. Is there a way I could get a copy of the pdfs? If you're not comfortable sharing them, I understand; I don't want to violate Mr. Eaton's copyright.
Anonymous said…
I have no problem sharing them; I'm not selling them, so this all falls under Fair Use. The issue is size—right now it's a pair of PDFs that total to just under 500 MB. I'm looking into ways of sharing them, but if you have any ideas, let me know.
Anonymous said…
Meh, I'll just put them on S3 for a bit. Total is ~390MB. You can access them here:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tom-eaton/1984+-+1991.pdf
https://s3.amazonaws.com/tom-eaton/1992+-+1996.pdf

I'll take them down on Sunday or Monday. Let me know if you have any problems downloading them.

And I'll try reaching out to the local boy scouts again; I'd really love to get 1997 - 2015. I asked on reddit about a year ago if he's still publishing Dink & Duff, etc., and people said he was. So that's a lot of his artwork that's still unaccounted for, and the quality of his work has definitely improved over time based on the Pedros I can see. You'll see he improved a lot over the 1984-1996 period, too.
zugzug said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said…
Your timing is amazing!

I loved this artist and never knew his name. I found this article and downloaded those scans. I am so lucky to have stumbled upon this. Mr. Eaton could have been a 90's version of Dr. Seuss or something else iconic. I remember the boys life magazines fondly and wished more came from them. With the 90's retro revival going full tilt I have to imagine we will start seeing things very much like this again.

Thanks for sharing Mark!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for reminding everyone of Mr. Eaton. I am a big fan of the work he did in Professor Otis G. Firefly's Almanac & Calendar. I still (45 years later) use material from it. I was beginning to think no one else even heard of him. Again, thanks (for at least proving I'm partially sane).
Zeph said…
He sadly passed away in December 2016 https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2016/12/20/tom-eaton-who-illustrated-pedro-for-boys-life-for-three-decades-dies-at-76/

They brought in a new artist to continue Pedro (I don't know about Eaton's other comics though).

Curiously, the final installment of Eaton's version, on Dec 2015, was recycled from June 2000 (you can see it in the link). They reused the Ruby Moon of Doom as a springboard for Pedro to go to a new dimension, explaining the new art style that way.

Popular posts from this blog

The Problem with Reconstructing Deinonychus

So as you may know, I am partly obsessed with dinosaurs. Scratch that - there's a small lobe of my brain devoted to dinosaurs. I love em, God help me. I even have a super-double-plus-top-secret dinosaur comic maybe in the works...but you didn't hear it from me. Anywho... Part of my problem is in the reconstruction of said prehistoric beasties, namely those icons of American dino-obsession, Deinonychus ( Velociraptor  to you Jurassic Park  aficionados...it's not just a Hollywood bastardization, there's a complicated story behind it which I covered in this old post ). Now, we all know what Deinonychus looked like: wolf-size, sleek, toothsome head balanced by a long tail, grasping front claws and of course the eponymous "terrible claw" on its hind foot. The shape is burned into our collective unconscious; you could construct the most fantastic amalgam of different bits and pieces, but as long as you include the sickle-claw, you're golden. The devil, of

The Horrendous Space Kablooie!

Sorry, Bill Watterson, but I just couldn't resist using this one...all hail Calvin and Hobbes! This comic illustrates a point that confronts us when we attempt to speak about the titanic phenomena occurring in the universe every day. We can speak of a supernova exploding "with the force of x  megaton bombs", or a star that "could hold a million of our suns"...but ultimately all this is meaningless. When the standard unit of interstellar measurement, the light year, is about 8.7 x 10¹² miles, human language (and thus, comprehension) just sort of...blanks out. Here's a lovely example: I'm currently watching a JINA-CEE video about novas in parasitic binary star systems . Essentially, a small, dense star (such as a neutron star) will form an orbital relationship with a larger, less-dense giant. The denser of the two will start vacuuming material off its host, adding to its mass; however, because of its size, it compresses the material into its "